Skip to content

2010 US Open: The Men

September 14, 2010

The 2010 US Open tennis tournament concluded last night with Rafael Nadal of Spain defeating Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the Final. With this year’s U.S. Open title, Nadal has now completed a career Grand Slam, becoming only the seventh man in history to do so.

As you can see below, it was an action-packed Open on the men’s side. If you missed yesterday’s blog post, check out it out for photos from the women’s tournament.

Roger Federer of Switzerland breezed through most of the tournament without dropping a set until he was eliminated by Novak Djokovic in the semifinals. The result was a Federer-less Finals for the first time since 2003. Federer won five straight US Open Championships before losing to Juan Martin del Potro in last year’s Finals.

Roger Federer

Gael Monfils of France, a crowd favorite because of his athleticism and antics, made it to the quarterfinals before being eliminated by Djokovic.

Gael Monfils

Monfils hugs Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia after eliminating him in the third round:

Gael Monfils

Monfils, whose second round victory over Igor Andreev of Russia came on his 24th birthday, “blows out candles on his cake” after the win:

Gael Monfils

Mardy Fish of the United States:

Gael Monfils

Paul-Henri Mathieu of France:

Paul-Henri Mathieu

Unseeded Ryan Harrison of the United States celebrates his first round victory over 15th seed Ivan Ljubicic of Croatia. With the win, Harrison became the first American teenager to defeat a top 20 player at a Slam since Andy Roddick took down then No. 11 Alex Corretja at the 2001 US Open.

Ryan Harrison

12th seed Mikhail Youzhny of Russia made it all the way to the semifinals before being eliminated by Rafael Nadal, the eventual U.S. Open Champion.

Mikhail Youzhny

Mikhail Youzhny

25th seed Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland had a great tournament, becoming the lowest seed at this year’s Open to make it to the quarterfinals:

Stanislas Wawrinka

Stanislas Wawrinka

American Sam Querrey:

Sam Querrey

Sam Querrey

Jurgen Melzer of Austria:

Jurgen Melzer

5th seed Robin Soderling of Sweden:

Robin Soderling

Twin brothers Bob and Mike Bryan of the United States celebrate their quarterfinal doubles victory on the way to winning their third U.S. Open doubles title:

Bryan Brothers

Finals runner-up Novak Djokovic earlier in the tournament:

Novak_Djokovic

Novak_Djokovic

Rafael Nadal, seen here defeating Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan in the second round, is this year’s U.S. Open Champion:

Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal

Advertisements
27 Comments leave one →
  1. ciaociaoo permalink
    September 14, 2010 11:14 am

BAŠ SAM GLEDAO MEČ IZ MEĐU ĐOKOVIČA I NADALA SINOČ PA POČELA KIŠA DANAS SU NASTAVILI MNOGO MIJE ŽAO ŠTOJE IZGUBIJO POSLE POBEDE OD FEDERERA MISIOSAM DA MU NIKO NEČE STATI NA PUT NEZNAM ŠTA MU BI ALI IPAK JA MU ČESTITAM BRAVO NAJ BOLJI SI POZDRAV TEBI NOLE .TIPSI.ZIMONJI.TRICKOM ANI JELENI UVEK VS PRATIM I OSTALIM TENISERIMA .

• September 14, 2010 11:58 pm

My Serbian is a little rusty, so this is what Google Translator says:

I looked JUST THE MATCH BETWEEN NADALI Djokovic started to rain last night, so have today continued the bellows MUCH SORRY AFTER VICTORY STAND lost their MISIOSAM to Federer that no one will NOT get in the way NEZNAM WHAT IT WOULD BUT STILL I BRAVO I congratulate BeSt SI Hail Nole. TIPSI.ZIMONJI.TRICKOM ANI JELENA ALWAYS VS OTHER Track and tennis player.

Anyone have a more complete translation?

2. September 14, 2010 11:24 am

Great Photos! Candid and live shots of the action. I used to play a little tennis myself before back when I was still in my early school years.

3. September 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Great shots! I was once a circuit-player (small-time!) and then became a tennis trainer travelling the globe with young ‘hopefuls’. We always used to take pics of the great players we would watch – our pics never came out like these though! Wonder why not?

Thanks for these photos – truly fantastic.

4. September 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Fabulous! That shot of Djokovic is unreal. I had the pleasure of watching most of these guys at the Cincinnati ATP tournament a few weeks ago, and none of my iPhone pics look anything like these. ;)

Nice work!

• September 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks! I have to give a whole lot of the credit to my equipment. I don’t think I could have taken those shots with an iPhone!

5. Sandeep permalink
    September 14, 2010 3:07 pm

came here for searching wordpress technical but i cant wait to see a blog about tennis ,, the pics were awesome what camera did you use, if you dont use the camera with a large tumbler at their face:-)

6. September 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Fabulous shots!

7. freedirtwithdirt permalink
    September 14, 2010 3:57 pm

so sad nadal won :D but still he’s still really good

8. September 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Sad Nadal won? oh that comment should be deleted! FAB photos! Loved Monfils!

• Guilherme Eduardo Camins permalink
      September 14, 2010 11:19 pm

You sound a bit totalitarian, my friend. But you are right about the photos =)

• September 15, 2010 12:02 am

Oh come on, everyone likes an underdog! Yes, Monfils is awesome. If you’ve never seen him play in person, find a way to. He’s a pure joy to watch.

9. September 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks for those fantastic photos. its really good

10. lexie permalink
    September 14, 2010 8:18 pm

cool

11. Sunflowerdiva permalink
    September 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Amazing pictures! I love watching tennis, and playing tennis. Those two brothers chest-bumping is a funny shot. Congrats on getting Freshly Pressed! :D

12. September 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Dude! I wish you would have done the same blog about the Women players as I don’t watch the men/havent since the likes of Monica Seles came on the scene with that sexy “grunting” and all the fashionistas like the Wms.Sisters! LOL You have the photogs eye.

13. September 15, 2010 12:13 am

Nice work.

Is it safe to assume you get paid to do this?

Either way, that’s gotta be some real crazy glass you got to go along with the crazy skills.

Best
    David

• September 15, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks, yes, that’s a safe assumption. I’m a professional photographer based in New York City. Check out my website @ http://www.avigerver.com to see the wide range of people and places I shoot!

14. September 15, 2010 3:42 am

Wow! These are what you call GREAT photos. Honestly, at first I thought the photos are just lifted from a sports website. But then, I found out that you took all of it. Great job! I hope I can also be as good as you – you know I am just a starter. :)

15. September 15, 2010 6:13 am

Amazing shots! Love the way you’ve captured Novak Djokovich’s thigh muscles *grin*. Do you do Wimbledon by any chance?

• September 15, 2010 7:55 am

Nope, I’ve never shot Wimbledon, but hopefully some day….

16. September 15, 2010 6:28 am

Nice article and nice images! i hope someone also get a shot of me playing tennis in my PS3, lol, anyway this is a good post! Cheers!

17. September 15, 2010 11:24 am

Great work. Avi.

18. September 22, 2010 10:16 am

We like your blog, especially nice pictures.
    We are vaulters from germany and have a big deal in some days…
    Visit our blog and accompany us on our way to Lexington to the World Equestrian Games.
    See here, this is our sport!
    Have fun!